Dreams Do Come True



One of my long time dreams came true on March 19, 2018 when myself and 66 other trainees were sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers. 


Deputy Chief of Mission Peter Haymond administered the oath of service.


I, Morgan Kubishak, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps. So help me God.

I was full of emotion at this time. Realizing my dream, meant also that I would be leaving my wonderful host family. And meeting a new community where I would really be put to the test. And leaving all of my new American friends who understood my language and experience, to a place with few english speakers. But I was also hopeful, and dreaming of the possibilities at site. 


My friends Laura and Phil gave a hilarious speech in Thai that summarized the ups and downs of PST. I then had the incredible opportunity to sing Smiles ยิ้มสู้ a song composed by His Majesty King Bhumibol. Ajaan Thanapron wrote the transliteration for the piece and worked with me several times to learn the melody and pronounce all the words correctly. Five years of singing with Dan Newman taught me that the words of the song are the most important part; Smiles is about fighting through the hard times and finding a reason to smile.

My friend Eric accompanied me on the guitar. He did not need nearly as much time to practice this piece, he sounded wonderful the first time he played it, but was patient with me when I wanted to practice over and over again.



At the end of the ceremony, all of the volunteers came together on stage to sing "Lean on Me." This song was special for us. It represented our promise to each other, reach out and support each other over the next two years. Each of us will be relatively isolated in an unfamiliar culture where people speak an unfamiliar language.



Laura, myself, and Nhi

Me and Hallie

Dinner before we part
Just call me.

Comments

  1. This looks like an awesome outing for you but I bet it isn't the first one and it won't be the last one.
    Keep having fun and meeting more and more everyday. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Keep up the good work!! Your an awesome Grand Daughter. Love ya, Granny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment