Andrea's Visit: After Class


When Andrea's Physical Education Class was over, she spent the rest of her time living in my community with me. That meant biking around town, shopping at the market, chores, dinner with friends, visiting the preschool, spending New Years with my host family, and traveling on the weekends.

Biking around town


As part of Peace Corps safety rules I'm not allowed to drive or ride a motorcycle, the main mode of transportation in rural Thailand. So in my community, Andrea rode a bicycle around with me.


Andrea and I biked into Phichai to the main Buddhist temple where you can make a merit by feeding fish and turtles. Coming to the temple to make a merit will help us have longer and happier lives.


My friend Pii Pekki met up with us at the temple and gave Andrea a ride on her motorcycle!


Market Shopping


Andrea wanted some fresh fruit, of which there is no short supply in Thailand. I took Andrea to several of the markets in my community where we picked up a ton of fruit.


Chores

One thing I've found frustrating in Thailand, is how often I have to clean. Between the dust of indoor-outdoor living and geckos, I need to sweep everyday. Lucky for me, Andrea loves to clean. I didn't even ask her to clean. Andrea stared at me like a five-year-old stares at an ice cream cone when I pulled out the mop. "Did you want to do this?" I asked. Here's what happened.


Dinner with Friends


Pii Pekki and Pii So are some of my closest friends here in Thailand. We hang out often and speak a mix of Thai and English together. Pii Pekki also helps take care of me, teaching me how to buy bus tickets and checking to make sure I've gotten home safely. For fun and to thank them for their friendship, Andrea and I made dinner and invited them over to my house for an "American" (not Thai) meal. Dinner consisted of mashed potatoes, boiled cabbage (purchased from Phetchabun), and spaghetti mushroom carbonara, as well as some hot dogs on the side.  


New Years with the Host Family

New Years Eve


We spent New Years countdown with my host family which was really nice because they opened my favorite riverside street market for New Years. This meant we could walk right down the street to buy something yummy for dinner.




My host father is Village Headman so he hosted a New Years Eve party with "The Gong Kho Band," which consisting of several older men from the village. He also bought five large fireworks to be set off at midnight. As per usual, we were invited to dance and later to sing. Is jingle bells ok?


Happy New Years Everybody!

New Years Day

At about six in the morning, New Years Day, Andrea and I donned Thai clothes and went down to the Gong Kho Buddhist Temple with my host parents. We brought rice, food, and water to offer the monks and wai'd the Buddha with marigolds and three incense sticks.  


Andrea Wai-ing the Buddha


Visiting the Preschool

Andrea loves children and babies, so I took her to the Aunobun (Preschool) on the Sub-district Administration Office campus I work at. The kiddies warmed up to her instantly.


The mayor of my district even stopped by to say hello.


And of course we can't go anywhere without singing...


The kids were pretty quiet while we were singing, and didn't have much to say when the song was over either. But after class, several parents called the preschool teacher to tell her that our "Purple Lights" camp song was a hit! Andrea and I could make it as the next big children's band!

Weekend Traveling

Thailand is among the top 10 travel destinations in the world, so on the weekends we hopped on a train to explore what Thailand has to offer.

Click the link below each picture to view pictures from each location!

Bangkok
Phetchabun
Pattaya

Comments

  1. Hey you kids are wonderful singers and I do believe the kids really liked it also. You two should be teachers. The kids would be so lucky to have you. I bet Andrea is thinking about going to Thailand and being in the Peace Corp also right??? I would love to leave tomorrow and come and see you but I don't think that is going to happen anytime sooooooooooooooooon. I sure wish I could figure this computer out and do the right thing. I heard they are going to do away with Google and I don't like that idea at all. I love google. It has helped me oh so much!!! Sorry I am answering this so late but I didn't even know it was here. There is no date on it so don't know when it was done........ Well keep having fun and I will catch up later. I never know just how to get on this site. All of a sudden something comes up and I hit a button and there you are. I am always thinking and praying and telling people about you over there. I just wish I knew more about all of this. Well good-bye for now I will chat with you later...Love your wonderful gramma Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey granny! Thanks for the sweet compliments <3 You'll have to ask Andrea how she feels about Peace Corps, I think she is looking forward to being a physical education teacher. You would love all the cute little old ladies here. Ya'all would have a ball dancing together.

      Where did you hear that google is not going to be a thing anymore? I'm pretty sure google is going to be around forever lol The date is at the top of every post, this one I posted January 18, 2019

      You're doing great with the computer. I love you so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! So whats new and different in Thailand today? I have been more than busy do so many things and trying to keep my home in order. I just went out and painted all the brick and washed down the cement porch so tomorrow I can paint that. I sure hate all this paper work you get in the mail. I wish I didn't even have to look at it. I am having trouble with one of my teeth. The top part fell out and so I have to have a route canel and a crown. I really want to wear the crown on my head not have it put in my mouth but oh well all in a days work. I just love your pictures. It looks like you are having so much fun. I have lost a lot of friends and am very sad about it but what can I do. I go to a funeral and meet so many people I know which is GREAT but I don't like loosing so many people in my life. I went to a 85 year old birthday party in Waunakee and there were people from all over the world. It was more than awesome. I get invited to sooooooo many many things. I wish that is all I really had to do was to have fun. I think I am going to sell my home this year so I don't have so much work to do. Today I painted the brick on my home and tomorrow I will paint the porch. I cleaned it all up at Midnight so it will be ready to go tomorrow. I have to fit in playing cards tomorrow but I love that but I sure get behind with all the paper shit. Went to Jeff's for Mothers day and had a blast. I got a card that is about 3' X2'. I don't know where they found it but it sure is big and wonderful. Lots of cards and appreciated them all. It is priceless to have so many wonderful friends but I have lost a few at such a young age between 70 and 80. Looking forward to my class reunion again this year. The kids in my class were pricelss and I don't mean maybe I love them all. Wonderful memories and will look forward to another class reunion again this year in July. Well seeing it is about 1:15AM I better get to bed before my dad gets on my case ha ha ha ha. Chat with you sooooooooooooooon. Keep up the good work and having fun. I think your work is all fun right?? What a way to go.. Keep up the spunk OK?? Love you oh so much. Your Gramma Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment