Andrea's Visit: Phetchabun


The topology of Phetchabun, a province in central Thailand (Figure 1), is vastly different from the flat clayey rice fields at my site in Uttaradit. Based on three short visits and my novice geologic eye, the geology of Phetchabun is dominated by a north-south running extensional horst and graben system. If you're not a rock nerd, this means that there are two impressive, parallel mountain chains (horst) running north-south, with a valley (graben) nestled between (Figure 2). This geologic feature lends itself to some spectacular tourism; from a sea of clouds, to majestic, mountain-top temples, to impressive wind turbines, to a series of waterfalls. Phetchabun doesn't disappoint.

Figure 1: Provincial Map of Thailand highlighting Phetchabun and Uttaradit provinces

Figure 2: Diagram of a horst and graben system, separated by normal faults.

Phu Tub Berk and the Sea of Clouds

Phu Tub Berk Lookout with Diana and Andrea

Phu Tub Berk is a mountain in Phetchabun that rises 1,768 meters above sea level. Thai tourists flock to the mountain top to camp and wait for sunrise, hoping to catch a glimpse of the sea of clouds. From a perch on Phu Tub Berk, when the conditions are just right, you can watch the fog of the morning collect and rise with the sun. Diana, a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer, and I have had camping atop Phu Tub Berk on our lists for quite a while. We were not lucky enough to catch the sea of clouds, but still found some breathtaking views.

Sunrise

Dusk, outside our tent.

With our camping neighbors, who helped us figure out how to uncork our wine - using a camping knife and chopsticks.

Sunrise Coffee



There are a plethora of camping sites to choose from on the mountaintop, but when we found out that our campground had a hillside full of cabbages, that was the on. The Avatar: The Last Airbender fan in me went nuts for "MY CABBAGES!" I probably had a little too much fun during our photo shoot...

"I sure love my cabbages, but I'm also ready to cabbage-bend some at you if you cross me"

Yeah. Probably too much fun.

Mountain Top Temple: Wat Pha Sorn Kaew


Wat Pha Sorn Kaew is by far the most beautiful temple I have ever visited. It is, I imagine, not unlike visiting the capital city of a people on a gold planet, galaxies away. Five larger-than-life, pristine white Buddhas meditate as they gaze over the deep blues and greens of the mountains cascading around them. Adjacent to that structure, is an opulent temple decorated with colorful mosaics of found objects. Every inch of this temple, every nook and winding pathway has been thoughtfully wrapped in a quilt of tile, china bowls, buttons, and glass beads.









Check out my artwork from this temple!


Wind Turbines of Khao Kho


Phetchabun is one of the few places in Thailand where I find myself reaching for the cozy warmth of my favorite flannel (besides my air-conditioned bedroom). The chilly, windy weather and mountainous terrain make Phetchabun an excellent location to capture wind energy with dozens of impressive wind turbines. In the US, I've noticed that wind turbines are perceived as a bit of an eyesore that ruin the landscape. In Thailand, people flock to them as a popular weekend destination. I was not able to take Andrea to see them, but I visited them with my host family in July 2018. There was bumper-to-bumper traffic and we were moving at a snail's pace along the windy road to the turbines. With my host mom's two small grandchildren in the car, pulling off the side of the road to snap a few pictures seemed a much better option than continuing the long, slow drive. I'd argue, this option produced better pictures anyway.


Dream big sweet girl. There is so much this world is waiting for you to discover.

Highway No.12: Waterfall Road



The main highway leading out of Phetchabun winds along following the Khek river flowing down from the mountains. Suitably dubbed "Waterfall Road," dozens of waterfalls are easily viewed by pulling off the shoulder of highway 12. As mentioned earlier, Phetchabun is largely toured by Thais, and has yet to be explored by many foreign travelers. As such, public transportation is minimal: a coach bus passes along the main highway connecting the bus terminals of Phitsanulok and Phetchabun. Taxis are rare and expensive.


As we were leaving Wat Phra Sorn Kaew, we were hoping to save ourselves a 2-3 km walk and hitch a ride from the temple highway 12. From there we would flag down a coach bus traveling back to Phitsanulok, where we'd catch a train back to my home. A lovely little family (pictured above) picked us up, and we soon found out that we were headed to the same place. They graciously offered to drop us off at the train station in Phitsanulok, but would be stopping at a waterfall for dinner. Riding the bus home, we would never have had this opportunity.

Upstream from the waterfall

Each waterfall is a little different, but typically there are dozens of bamboo platform rafts or huts fixed to the banks of the river, with umbrellas for shade (Thai's do not like tanning). Vendors stroll up and down the riverbank, sometimes wading in the water, to serve drinks, snacks, and whole meals even. You can also rent an inner-tube or paddle boat.


The waterfall we visited, Kaeng Song, had a suspension bridge upstream from the falls. It was only slightly terrifying when a motorcycle zipped past us on this bridge. We had a blast playing on and around the falls itself. Diana and I plan to come back with swimsuits!






Phetchabun continues to be one of my favorite provinces in Thailand. Keep your eye out for some more blogs about Phetchabun from me in the future...

Other Adventures

Check out all the other adventures Andrea and I went on during her visit!

Comments

  1. Hi Morgan:
    Hey how is it going in Thailand? I haven't heard from you in a coon's age. What have you been up to? How is the boyfriend? Whats happening in your world? I haven't heard from you in a long long time. What kind of a job do you have now? We have had a lot of wet weather. How is your weather overthere? When are you coming back to the USA? I have been to so many birthday parties, card parties, concerts in the parks, out to eat, long drives, exercising when I have a minute, going to church and oh yes funerals. By the way is there a church overthere? Do you go and what kind is it. Who is coming over there to visit you next? I think I will come over there next year. What do you think about that? Now that you are out of the peacecore, what is your job. Is it fun? I got so many things on my calendar I don't know if I am coming or going. I have a buyer for my home and plan to move back to Sun Prairie. Who knows, it might change next week. I am going to look at a place next week. I want to be out of here before winter. I have had enough of all the work so off I go into the wild blue wonder.. ya ya I know there is a song like that. Well it is 10:45PM so I guess I better get to bed because I have a very busy week once again. Love ya Granny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment