Andrea's Visit: Andrea's Take


A brief interview with Andrea after her visit to Thailand

Name: Andrea Kubishak
Date of Visit: December 30, 2018 - January 14, 2019

What were your perceptions of Thailand/Thai Culture prior to your visit? Have your perceptions changed? If so, how.

I did not have much background knowledge about Thailand or the culture before I came to visit. Most people tend to do a little more research about the place they are going to than I did. I really just wanted to arrive with an open mind and open eyes, to get a true and personal experience. Now that I am back home in Wisconsin and have lived in Thailand for two weeks, I feel as my perception on Thailand is good and clear; the people are beyond friendly, they are thoughtful with their food, and they like to focus on togetherness.


What cultural differences did you notice? Please describe.

There are many cultural differences that I got to experience while visiting my sister in Thailand.  For example public bathrooms! In America bathroom standards are high, people are obsessed with clean, sanitary, and welcoming bathrooms. If the room smells funny, there’s paper on the floor, or a present left in the toilet for the next user, we will most likely hold our urge to go or inform the manager to get the mess taken care of immediately. In Thailand it is a completely different story. For one, it may cost money to go, two, there is no toilet paper, and three you step in squat, flush, and go. Just a list of a few other differences:

  • You don’t pump your own gas
  • They put baby powder on kids faces- to this day still have not figured out why
  • Everyone and everything has a nickname
  • They drink milk out of bags instead of cartons

Bathroom used at Phu Tub Berk, Phetchabun


Are there any Thai values that you really appreciated and would like to bring back home with you? If so, how do you plan to incorporate that into your life?

I love how Thai people never really eat alone, they are always going out with friends or family; food can connect people in a special way. At school I tend to eat on the go or alone due to my busy schedule, I would love to change that. Whether it be going out and getting coffee with a friend or having a full on three course meal.


What experiences did you have in Thailand that shocked or surprised you?

Two things that really shocked me about Thailand is the cost of living and driving. Compared to the prices in America, things in Thailand are extremely cheap, making it much easier to buy souvenirs. The second shock was how crazy the roads are. It was a big change to get use to riding on the opposite side of the road and the car. Many people drive motorbikes/mopeds cruising around the other cars with ease.

Motorcycles at the mall get the best parking. They get the best parking everywhere.


What skills did you grow or develop while in Thailand?

Becoming use to living with geckos
How to use chopsticks a little bit more than I did before
To understand the slightest bit of the Thai language

Khao Soi from Cafe De Field

How has this experience impacted your professional goals?

My professional goal is to become a health and physical education teacher. I am currently studying Kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. I am only a freshman with one semester under my belt and was pondering my career choice before I came to Thailand. I love children, being physically active, and informing others on how to stay healthy. So based on those few facts the job of a PE and health teacher seem perfect, but I needed some confirmation. Reflecting on my trip I realized that this is the perfect job for me. Teaching kids in general can be difficult but when there us a language barrier, it many seem impossible. Thanks to my wonderful sister and aka translator, language was reduced to a minor issue. Because of the experience I have gained working and teaching with these children I now know my capability in this career.


Thailand is among the top 10 tourist destinations in the world. Is it worth all the hype? What was your favorite “tourist” experience?

On the weekends my sister and I did get to travel to some very touristy locations. They probably weren't the ones that everyone has seen in pictures or advertised for, but that made the experience all the more personal. My favorite tourist location was visited was Koh Lan (Lan Island in Pattaya). I am a sun follower, and loved every minute of our beach day, my poor shoulders though got pretty red. I even ordered this super cute pineapple drink on the beach, wow what a dream, it was called a Mai Thai and I strongly recommend it!! On this day I got to go parasailing too, which I have always wanted to do:))



Other Adventures

Check out all the other adventures Andrea and I went on during her visit!

Comments

  1. Finally getting an early morning minute to catch up on your blogs and adventures! What a wonderful treasure to be able to read about your experiences! I can't wait to be sitting across the table from you when you are back home, enjoying some food, and getting all the details you have to share! What a remarkable experience, and what a blessing you both are to the world! Big hugs and many happy days, what ever corner of the earth you are on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi! You picked a good day to catch up, I finally just finished all the blogs about Andrea's trip! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and check in on me, it means a lot <3 I'm looking forward to sitting down with you too, over a big Noske style Denver Omelett with extra hash browns and hollandaise sauce! Can you tell I've been craving some Wisconsin staples? Sending lots of love and warm weather to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Morgan:
    Well well well I just got my computer cleaned up so I got rid of about 5,000 e-mails and now I have a new one. I think this is right yasurecarol40@gmail.com. I guess you will know when you try it out. How has the weather been over there? Today you could not ask for a more beautiful day. It wins the prize. Two days ago I went to a funeral of Pastor Dushack. He was a brother to one of my classmates. It was more than an awesome funeral. I met a gal that I went to grade school with by the name of Delores Prosser from the 6th grade. What a wonderful time we had. I met so many people from Sun Prairie that I hadn't seen in many a year. Last night I went out and played cards and a good time had by all. Today I am going to a 100 birthday of the American Legion. It will be very interesting and meeting up with a lot of military that have served our country. Well have you met any new boyfriends over there? I hope you get my e-mails. I just had a guy come over here and get rid of over 5,000 e-mails and then changed my address. What a job... Well our weather here today is more than beautiful. Big sun and warm. Can't ask for anything better. Well I better get back to my job before I get fired ha ha ha ha. I think of you often and I already know you are having a good time at what all you are doing. Those kids are so lucky to have you. When do you get to come home for a visit? I wish I could send you a Wisconsin Denver Omelet but it would probably be cold when you received it but I know it would still be good even cold. Love ya Granny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment